Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The Grind

It was my first week on the job and I pulled all the crap shifts as per I was the rookie. I was the "new kid" and I was treated as such. For the first month, I was forced to do all the low life degrading tasks that others refused to do. If a drunk hurled in the bathroom, it was I who held the mop. If someone dropped a glass or ashtray, it was I who swept it up. If a call went out over the radios, I had to go. The dancers tried to drop bullshit tasks on me in hopes that I wouldn’t catch on, but I did.

After closing, I completed most of the closing tasks such as being the asshole to kick everyone out after closing (I hated people like that when I was drinking), taking out the trash, cleaning the bar, sweeping and mopping the floors, cleaning out the tampon bin in the woman’s washroom (nasty), and all that horrible shit. I was always nominated to buy rounds for the staff after hours and my tip money was nonexistent after that point.

On a good note, all the girls were tipping me out at the end of the night because I was the new guy. The girls were always good like that.

I was more like an apprentice if anything else, and I had to pay my dues. I was okay with that, but I was getting pissed off about all the bullshit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Just added your blog to my favourites. Interesting reading.

Also, I got the first comment, I won the internet.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Tavis Xavier said...

Thanks for the read.

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home